Saturday, November 20, 2010

Christmas and Candy Canes

Christmas this year has been a bit of a struggle for me. I'm sure I am not the only person that has had years where it has been more difficult to come by feeling the Christmas spirit. I grew up with a family that made Christmas so exciting and mysterious and adventurous. From plotting ways to meet Santa to family plays to giving the perfect surprise to making it to Christmas morning with all of my surprises still intact. But this year...no matter how many Christmas songs I listened to, stories I heard, lights I saw...I just couldn't bring myself out the Christmas funk I was in.


Then I went home and spent Christmas with my mom, dad, grandpa, and Kattie, Ryan and their kids. Christmas is always more fun with kids around. They still have so much hope and excitement for life and for Christmas. My favorite part of this Christmas was watching my little 1 year old neice Mali. Her favorite gift for Christmas was her candy canes that were in her stocking and everyone elses. It wasn't all about the toys...she really could care less. she wandered around the room gathering up candy canes. It just made me realize, Christmas is simple. It's about finding joy in little things.


I know this post is a little old, but for some reason I never posted it so since Christmas is upon us again I thought it was a good reminder. Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments: